WALKING IS AMAZING
It has numerous health benefits such as increased physical fitness, improved mood,reduction in mortality to name a few plus its really convenient.
Only 1 in 4 people in england do 30 minutes of exercise per week. This statistic can be applicable to any developed country where everything is so easy on your doorstep and everything is available at the click of a button.
Many government organisations across the world have good recommendations for physical exercise – it usually accounts to 150 minutes of exercise during the week at a moderate intensity this includes brisk walking.
150 minutes. A little over 20 minutes a day ! Not much in my opinion.
How fast should you walk? Public health England suggests walking at 3 mph or 100 steps a minute. They also suggest that even walking briskly for 90 minutes during the week will give you amazing benefits.
So what are the benefits?
- Lose weight
- Improve cardiovascular endurance
- Improve mood
- Reduces incidence of chronic illness obesity,diabetes, heart disease to name a few
- Good for the environment
- Convenient -Just get up and do it
- Easy on the joints
- Can be a sociable experience or a quiet peaceful one-depending on what you want
- Can improve diabetic control
- ( One randomized cross-over trial of known diabetics showed doing ten minute walks after each meal, as opposed to doing one 30 minute walk a day, lowered blood sugar to better standards than doing a longer 30 minute walk)
There are many ways to incorporate walking into your life.
The ways I do it is walking briskly after lunch and in the evening after dinner. I sometimes do the weekly shopping and carry my shopping home( also develops a great upper back and grip as an additional bonus!)
Aids to help you could be a pedometer devices or apps on your phone to count your steps aim is around 10,000 a day.
Make it social go walking with your family and friends
Explore new places by walking.
Make it part of your life.
Make it daily.
Its convenient and free.
So let’s all get out and enjoy the fresh air.